Navy Dads

Hi all,

I'm new to this site so forgive any dumb questions.  

My son just finished flight school in Pensacola, was number one jet rated in his class.  Unfortunately there was no slots this (there were 8 last week!!) week when he got his platform.  He ended up with E2-C2, which wasn't even on his list, so of course I have no idea what the "path" will be for him.  Can anyone help clarify for me?  

Also, since he received this platform, is there any chance they would switch him to strike during the training process?  Since they all begin on the same planes?  He's really disappointed, but of course says he's fine with it.  Just curious.

Thank you!

Views: 1130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You mean the E-2C Hawkeye? Radar platform- this is the E-2D...the Delta (the "D" in E-2D) is the latest version but looks about identical to the Charlie (the "C" in E-2C)

and one other comment- if it is the E-2C, bet he'll get more flying hours than in Strike aircraft...maybe not as glamorous but more important to fleet protection by far. 

Thank you.  They are certainly interesting looking planes. He's very positive about.  Definitely disappointed about the jets, but just wanting to fly.  Wings of gold are wings of gold!  Do you happen to know how the training actually goes?  He's married so I would imagine he'll stay at Corpus for however long.  Then off to either California or Norfolk?

I had all his other options down, but this one is new to me.

Thank you once again!

I cannot help with answers about the training though I would believe it would be in Florida.  My son turns wrenches on the plane shown in the photo....we do have a Pilots group - maybe some answers there? 

http://navydads.ning.com/group/navypilots

My reply may be a tad dated but I noticed no one mentioned the C-2 "COD" as a possible platform your aviator may wind up flying, if they are still using them that is. I served on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt back in the late 80's early 90"s and they were an integral part of Carrier operations while deployed. COD means Carrier Onboard Delivery and it's essential mission was just that. Mostly mail but they delivered just about anything, or anyone that could fit in the aircraft. It's not the most glamorous plane but it will help him/her log flight hours while he strikes for the one he/she wants. I was assigned to an S-3 squadron ... Go VS-24 Scouts ! ... and worked with several frustrated fighter drivers. Many of them kept their nose to the grindstone and ended up right where they wanted to be.  One in particular comes to mind, then Lt. Russ Bartlett eventually became CO of the Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron with stints in a few fighter squadrons in between. 

I also hear that in time, the C2 will be replaced with a NAVY version of the V22 Osprey which is a pretty cool platform. I'm sure he has many people encouraging him to stick it out. Share my little story with him if you think it will help.

My son was in VRC-40 for awhile and turned wrenches on the COD........they need to be replaced!  He said the parts were so old they were a pain to work on and keep flying! 

Patrick Hagan said:

My reply may be a tad dated but I noticed no one mentioned the C-2 "COD" as a possible platform your aviator may wind up flying, if they are still using them that is. I served on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt back in the late 80's early 90"s and they were an integral part of Carrier operations while deployed. COD means Carrier Onboard Delivery and it's essential mission was just that. Mostly mail but they delivered just about anything, or anyone that could fit in the aircraft. It's not the most glamorous plane but it will help him/her log flight hours while he strikes for the one he/she wants. I was assigned to an S-3 squadron ... Go VS-24 Scouts ! ... and worked with several frustrated fighter drivers. Many of them kept their nose to the grindstone and ended up right where they wanted to be.  One in particular comes to mind, then Lt. Russ Bartlett eventually became CO of the Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron with stints in a few fighter squadrons in between. 

I also hear that in time, the C2 will be replaced with a NAVY version of the V22 Osprey which is a pretty cool platform. I'm sure he has many people encouraging him to stick it out. Share my little story with him if you think it will help.

Thank you!  He's excited to be flying no matter what it is.  He was disappointed about not getting jets at first, especially the following week when the had 4 available for selection!  He's actually very interested in the C2.  It'll be interesting to see where he ends up!

I will definitely share your story!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments