Navy Dads

My son left Seattle and arrived at RTC on October 7th.  Looking forward to hearing from him in what I hear is his 3rd week.

Views: 407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got a call from my son today!  Just made my day.  Talk for about 15 minutes which was just perfect for me as I knew he had to make a call to his mom too.  He filled me in on a bunch but more important over everything was hearing from him that he is enjoying all the challenges and thriving in many of them. I'm learning all these acronyms in such a short period of time but enjoying every minute of it. What an awesome way to start my week off! Just awesome!

RECEIVED A CALL FROM MY SON ON 10/26 near 1pm!!!  What a way to start my week off.  Had a great 15-20 minute conversation with my him about his arrival to BC, P-Days, PT, DIV 904 and the swimming program.  He's thriving and hearing that from his own voice was all this dad needed.  Needless to say, if it is possible to be even prouder of my son than I was prior...I am.  I hope you get that call soon from your son or daughter.  It was as good a fix for me and I hope it was for him!

Woohoo!   Received my first envelope...stuffed with three letters!  I'm still high having got to talk with him this past Sunday...so this is a bonus! From what I understand, I believe his division is made up on 8 or 9 SRs.  He's doing well and I'm excited to watch him on his journey at boot camp...and beyond.  Can't believe there's only 36 days left until PIR!

SURPRISE BY A 2ND CALL YESTERDAY ON MY DRIVE HOME FROM WORK!  What an awesome surprise! I pulled over and got to talk with my son for about 25 minutes...I felt spoiled for a moment as I didn't think I was going to hear from him for another week or two..  I wasn't prepared and I didn't have the questions I had been writing down to ask him during that next call.  He had a lot to share about his experiences and I got a bit more clarification of the number of recruits in his division and some of the roles he is serving. So awesome to hear from him and I am so looking forward to PIR!!!  Not sure if he'll be able to confirm that their division will be performing at a couple of the previous PIRs in Nov (21st and 26th). He told me again how awesome of a feeling it was to receive mail and to tell everyone thank you for sending him notes, pictures, news clippings, etc and to tell everyone he apologizes for not being able to write back to all of them.  I hope everyone else in Ship 02, Division 904 is hearing from their SR. 

That's awesome Mike! Just got a call from my son today after lunch. Got to talk for like 25 minutes!! 

Nice...I wonder if the boys know how much good the calls do for us dads...versus just for them.  The first call settled my anxieties a lot...a letter three days later even moreso...and a second call 4 days after the first call...wow...pretty awesome.   Like you, I got a good 25 mins as well...pretty cool eh?  Hope your son is doing well Chris! 

considering you are entitled to exactly two calls you should feel pretty lucky !!!

Paul, can you share on how that works?  Is it two calls for the entire period he is there?...and any other calls thereafter are considered "bonus" calls that he earns?  Was just curious...

He doesn't earn it, the division does!  Traditional policy is that you get two calls- the "I'm Here" call the night they arrive at RTC and the "I'm a Sailor" call after Battle Stations.  Usually the RDCs also gave a "I'm still alive" call at about week 3-4. Other calls are a "gift" and are at the discretion of the RDCs.  Note that calls are earned as a division and the privilege is lost as a division as well.

Ah...got it.  Thanks for the clarification Paul.  I should've known better in regards to the "division" earning it...versus individually.  The division must be doing pretty good if they earned two calls in a week's time. Good for them...and getting the acknowledgement for what I'm sure is a lot of hard work and teaming!

"Mahalo" Jim.  My son has always been in leadership roles such as a captain on a sports team, quarterback, or whatever it is and his integrity to hard work and finding ways to lead a team cohesively under pressure or not has clearly been a plus coming into boot camp as he is thriving in this environment where integrity matters and more than anything the accountability of each member is held in high regards...so yes, I am Proud of him and all he's accomplished in this short 3-4 weeks...and I do have the best trained military in the world to thank!  I am excited for him and for what possibilities his future holds.  GO NAVY!  ...and as we say in Seattle...GO HAWKS!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments