Navy Dads

Happy Second Birthday to Molly’s Adopt a Sailor - Let’s Celebrate!!

Admin Options

Happy Second Birthday to Molly’s Adopt a Sailor -

Let’s Celebrate with our July Group!!

Two years ago on this date (June 27th), Molly invited a few of her friends to help celebrate her 44th birthday by giving instead of getting.  Here is an excerpt from her blog:

I think we N4M could make a big difference in some sailor’s lives if all of us would just write one letter.  Geez, we did this in boot camp
we can do this again.  Just one letter, postcard or package a month.

Let’s try to see if we can do this, and if it works out we can pick a new name each month. I will try to set this up if you all want.  But before I start this I need to know who would be in?  I don’t want to request a name, get a name then they get one little letter :(
Take a look and tell me what you think.
I bet we could do this ladies and how cool for our sailors to get letters from
Navy moms.  Let me know!   

WOW - after that it EXPLODED!! 

(Our EOD guys might not appreciate that. 

Instead of defusing this bomb - they helped it to explode.)

Our first “adoption”, two years ago today, was a group of EOD Sailors (Explosive Ordnance Disposal - technicians tasked to safely dispose of explosive materials.) Boxes went out and “thank you’s” were returned. Well, two years
later her group
“Molly’s Adopt a Sailor” wants to celebrate its second birthday
by going back to that same unit!
  We located
one of their “thank you” emails and contact was made.  We asked if they were interested in being  adopted again since they started this endeavor with us.

This was their reply, “Funny you wrote, because I'm over here (Iraq) again. Two of the guys that were with me last year followed me over here again. I guess we can't get enough of each other. First - thank you very much for keeping our spirit alive

in your hearts back home - we feel it every day out here. You and your work are
inspirational!
It's not everyday
people like you take time of their lives to remember us. Believe it or not we'd
still be here even if it we didn't get the support, but it's still nice to see
that someone still cares back home

OK... We are leaving next month, but I'm cc'ing a gentlemen that will be my relief here.  I'm also including my Boss who is in contact with his boss.  Long story short... we will try to put you in contact with sailors that will be out here for the next 6 months.
Please know that your hard work and support is very much appreciated and I
would love nothing more than to be sponsored by you folks. Who doesn't like
getting gifts? :) The problem is I feel the men and women staying out here
probably deserve your compassion more than the folks leaving soon.
By all means this is not a missed target, just a targeting adjustment.

HA :0)”

So folks for our July group we are headed back “home” to our original adoptees of two years ago.

Here is a list of “requested” items for these 80 guys and gals:

Things we enjoy, we like to work out, read magazines I would list some specific ones, but we usually get each article. A couple of us are thinking of doing some home buying when we get back so different house magazines are great to read too (I know I sound like Martha Stewart, just not the criminal type) Just

kidding...
                We also enjoy movies from the 80's & 90's comedies. Old Chevy Chase,
Steve Martin, John Candy comedies, ect... As far as snacks go we all have sweet
tooth's, enjoy beef jerky, packaged cookies, Star Bucks double shot drinks, Red
Bulls, stuff like that.

We love anything you guys send, homemade foods, movies, magazines, baby wipes, cigars (bad habit but we like 'em), Dunkin Donuts coffee whole bean or ground, old/used movies, #4 cone

coffee filters, gum, whatever you guys would like to send :). There are
currently 7 females on our compound. Anything special for them would be
appreciated.

Here we are - just an appreciative bunch to celebrate with!

Shipping date - the week of July 25th

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

If anyone wants to write to the EOD's just PM either myself / Diane or Staci
we will gladly pass along their address !!
God Bless them babies !!!

Also we have some Marines that are injured and could aslo use some cards and letters if anyone wants !!

Hugs to you all and thank you for supporting the troops
Happy Birthday! "Molly's Adopt a Sailor"

Molly I would love to send something to the troops. How does this work? Do we send a package to 1 of the 80 Sailors or a package for them to pass around?
We work as this huge group --- so you sent things I send thing and together they get lots of things. I have up to 700 people at any givin time doing this. Finances have some just writting letters one month then the next month they may send a box, or not ---we are so huge that between all of us we cover each other pretty nicely.
And there is NO WRONG way to do this ----- even if a group gets nothing but letters, its still a win.
All we want them to know is they are not forgotten and that we thank them.
So you send to the point of contact, who knows packages and letters are coming. and he collects them all and passes them out OR they set up in a mess and have people come threw and get what they need. Usually the POC is a higher up like CMC or 1st class, or a chief.
depending on how much comes etc
Thats why we do a shipping date --so that most things can get there at the same time. Makes it easier for the POC so every week a few things come in and he has to remember who he gave what to.
We always ask they take care of the ones who have not gotten something first ---- and of course not one month has gone by that they dont care for the Junior's first.
I really 100% recommend that you write a letter and include your email address in it-thats how they communicate back to you, and OHHH those sweet little babies are always so thankful. (it will almost break your heart--trust me)
I have the address and will PM it to you when you want !! feel free to ask anyone you know if they want to help and pass that addy on. (you can never have enough love)
I hope this an ok short version of *how to* ask anything you want at anytime.
and I can tell you how to pack a box and which box to pack and the custom forms ---- help you with anything at anytime !!!
Thanks Molly,

I get it, we did something like this when the USS Bainbridge rescued Capt. Richard Phillip's. Here is a link of some things we sent to the Sailors. Others sent jerky & letters, it was great. So please send me the address when you get a chance. I would love help as much as I can.

Molly said:
We work as this huge group --- so you sent things I send thing and together they get lots of things. I have up to 700 people at any givin time doing this. Finances have some just writting letters one month then the next month they may send a box, or not ---we are so huge that between all of us we cover each other pretty nicely.
And there is NO WRONG way to do this ----- even if a group gets nothing but letters, its still a win.
All we want them to know is they are not forgotten and that we thank them.
So you send to the point of contact, who knows packages and letters are coming. and he collects them all and passes them out OR they set up in a mess and have people come threw and get what they need. Usually the POC is a higher up like CMC or 1st class, or a chief.
depending on how much comes etc
Thats why we do a shipping date --so that most things can get there at the same time. Makes it easier for the POC so every week a few things come in and he has to remember who he gave what to.
We always ask they take care of the ones who have not gotten something first ---- and of course not one month has gone by that they dont care for the Junior's first.
I really 100% recommend that you write a letter and include your email address in it-thats how they communicate back to you, and OHHH those sweet little babies are always so thankful. (it will almost break your heart--trust me)
I have the address and will PM it to you when you want !! feel free to ask anyone you know if they want to help and pass that addy on. (you can never have enough love)
I hope this an ok short version of *how to* ask anything you want at anytime.
and I can tell you how to pack a box and which box to pack and the custom forms ---- help you with anything at anytime !!!

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments