Navy Dads

I am preparing for TC 2013.

My friend wanted to go along but it seems he is unable to due to item F on the official application. "Blood thinners"

Does anyone have an opinion if there is a way to appeal this with a well written doctors note? My friend is 57 and most likely in better shape than I.

Comments?

Jim

Views: 3267

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome post, couple questions.

How far of a walk from main gate to Stennis@pierside?

Will sentrys allow my cab to drop me pierside?

If I rent a car will they allow me to drive on base?

...I am on "the list" with my DL, but no car listed.

Can my son and I walk from the Stennis or front gate to the AZ Memorial or is a cab needed?

Should I rent a car? I land Sunday.

Thanks,

BigJim (Tall)

Janelle Kelsey said:

Allow two hours to visit the USS Arizona memorial. The movie and trip out to the memorial is free but there is usually a wait for the next open slot. Get your tickets right as you arrive and then walk around. There is a great museum and gift shop. You can also visit the USS Missouri, USS Bowfin and USS Utah from the same sight. They all cost extra and allow two hours for each one. I am super lucky to be living here with my YN Daughter and get to see my AT1 son from the Stennis this week! The weather has been in the 80 during the day and humid. It has been getting cooler in the evenings and mornings for us acclimated to the heat. Last year I was never cold:). Anyone with allergies will be affected by the VOG (volcanic smog) but the tradewinds are expected back to blow it away.

Im looking forward to watching the ship pull in from our yard and then going down to meet our sailor!

Have a fun cruise. I did the 2007 cruise on the USS Nimitz with my other son. It was a blast and yes they are so ready to be home but they know its close!

Thanks my Sailor talked me into a car rental so that is a done deal.

I fly from Sacramento CA and land at 11:55.

Staying at the Best Western on Nimitz.

They crossed the International date line yesterday.

Janelle Kelsey said:

I don't know about getting your car on base. But if you take a taxi from the airport to the Halawa gate, you will be within walking distance from the pier. There is a turnaround there for the taxi. The bus system is great and pretty easy to use. It is 2.00 for any trip, I use my map app on my smart phone and it tells me what time the bus comes to the stop. The bus drivers are really friendly and helpful. The walk to the Arizona from the pier is probably about .5 miles. Then when you are finished the bus stop is right outside on the main road. It is pretty easy to get around by bus. Parking and traffic can be so bad that sometimes it is just nice to be on a bus to look around.

I would recommend buying a visitor bus pass if you go the bus route. They are available at the ABC stores in Waikiki (a 7-11 type store). They are everywhere down there!

Where are you staying? Where are you coming from?

Any more questions I will try to help.

I had my, then, 14 year old son on board for Nimitz '07 TC.

Janelle Kelsey said:

Allow two hours to visit the USS Arizona memorial. The movie and trip out to the memorial is free but there is usually a wait for the next open slot. Get your tickets right as you arrive and then walk around. There is a great museum and gift shop. You can also visit the USS Missouri, USS Bowfin and USS Utah from the same sight. They all cost extra and allow two hours for each one. I am super lucky to be living here with my YN Daughter and get to see my AT1 son from the Stennis this week! The weather has been in the 80 during the day and humid. It has been getting cooler in the evenings and mornings for us acclimated to the heat. Last year I was never cold:). Anyone with allergies will be affected by the VOG (volcanic smog) but the tradewinds are expected back to blow it away.

Im looking forward to watching the ship pull in from our yard and then going down to meet our sailor!

Have a fun cruise. I did the 2007 cruise on the USS Nimitz with my other son. It was a blast and yes they are so ready to be home but they know its close!

To the Tigers of Stennis TC 2013,

Fair winds and Following seas.

I'll be on the Pier when you arrive in San Diego

V/r

Jared Hyde

It is a small world, and an even smaller Navy. I was/am the sailor for that one. I worked with your son's LPO IC1 Wilson in coordinating Family VTCs throughout the cruise. Robyn, my wife, and Ry, my son, saw us from the plane as we pulled into Pearl. It was a fantastic couple of days roaming around Oahu. Then Robyn flew home, and I took Ry onboard for the cruise home. Look at the top right of my profile pic, and you'll see me. The bottom two are of my oldest son,AT2 Antonio Hyde. I took Antonio on a Tiger Cruise on my first ship, USS McClusky (FFG 41) .

The air wing worked their butts off for two days to get their stuff off the ship and they made it. Awesome!

I am the guy that was stooped over all over the galley. Still a blast.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments